Viva Mexico

Who would've thought a 14 hour drive would've taken us nearly 20? It was all worth it! This was Nate and Edie's first trip to the Colonies. Nate was worried that I wouldn't give him any time to work on his thesis and he was right! We lived la vida loca!

We visited my Grandmother, two uncles, and their families. Here are some pictures to show the other things we did.


My cousins have quite the set-up in their backyard. A pool, trampoline, and giant swingset decorate their large lawn. Here Edie is relaxing in a tire swing from a traumatizing swim in the pool. Apparently, she doesn't like being splashed.

Later she discovered the apricot tree.



We couldn't get her to stop eating apricots.


Here are my twin cousins, Caroline and Cristina, entertaining the baby. She made them read to her for about an hour.


Later, we drove to the Paquime ruins. What you see behind Nate are actual ruins from an ancient Indian city.


We ate at a restaurant called Elmers, formerly known as Mechy's. Their faces might tell you the food wasn't good. Don't believe them.


Here's Edie and me outside of the Academia Juarez where I graduated from High School.


Behind us, you might be able to recognize the Colonia Juarez Temple. I got to help work on it during it's construction in 1998.


Here is Nate holding a crawdad. We fished for them in my uncle's pond. He was one of two to catch one.

Grandmother, Mom, Edie and Me: a 4-generation shot.


Edie kept trying to teach Grandmother how to use her walker. She thinks she's so smart.


While there, my cousins adopted Nate as their recess soccer team captain. I've never seen Nate look so tall. He's the one stealing the ball from the little 5th grader. He was also seen knocking many players down. But, the kids loved him anyway.

Other news from this trip:
1. Nate got the flu
2. My mom got the flu
3. My uncle got the flu
4. Grandmother started feeling better

3 comments:

Julia said...

Edie is so cute! I'm glad you guys finally got a blog!!!!

Five Wahlquist's said...

Cute family Mandy and Nate. Thanks for sharing it with Joseph, Jacob, little girl and I!

Gretchen said...

Dane and I also went to Colonia Dublan this summer! We ate at Mechy's--the food was good, I'm not sure why Nate was frowning. We saw the temple and the high school and flew over the ruins. I'm not sure why, but I didn't realize that's where you grew up. Small world.